A verruca is a type of wart that affects the soles of your feet. It usually starts as an itch or sore and then turns into a hard, cauliflower-like growth.
Verrucas can be caused by many different things such as:
- Walking barefoot in public places like gyms, pools, locker rooms and other communal areas
- Sharing socks with someone who has a verruca
- Wearing shoes without socks for too long
- Skin contact with contaminated surfaces like bathroom floors, wet tiles and carpeting.
The good news is that there are many ways to get rid of this pesky problem! Here we will discuss how to remove these types of warts from your feet at home using items you may already have around your house.
Ways to get rid of a verruca
A common way to get rid of verrucas is by soaking them in apple cider vinegar. Simply soak the affected foot for 20 minutes twice a day until it has healed or disappears.
Another option that may work well for you is duct tape! Apply the sticky side directly on top of your wart and leave overnight until the skin starts peeling off, repeating this process until the wart falls off. The best time to do this is right after taking a shower or bath because that’s when your feet will be softest. For faster results use both methods at the same time.
If these methods are too inconvenient for you, there are medical procedures that your doctor may choose to use on your verruca depending on how large it is and its location. Options include:
- Freezing with liquid nitrogen by applying a piece of cotton soaked in the solution onto the wart which causes blistering and scabbing
- Surgical removal of the wart by cutting it out or burning with an electrical current
- Using a laser to burn off the top layer of skin. This option is most effective when used on smaller warts because larger ones can cause scarring if this method is chosen.